Web Client or Desktop

Patricia HeubachPatricia Heubach Administrator Posts: 45 admin

We are looking at the Adept products. Can someone help us understand the differences between the Adept Desktop and Adept Web Client versions?

Comments

• Cwood3Cwood3 Moderator Posts: 24 mod

That is a great question. Each client has advantages, but it really depends on the uses case. It also depends on which versions of Adept you are running.

The Web Client has the advantages that:
    it is more ubiquitous
    does not require any installation
    and the licensing cost is less

The Desktop Client has the advantage that it is more full featured and has more capability. In some cases, the Desktop seems to be a bit faster.

In our experience, we tend to encourage casual users to use the web. It is easy and fast, and meets their basic needs.

If you need to do a lot of intensive activity, the Desktop client is not only preferred, but for some things like library and user management, it is required.

The continued improvements of the Web client is clearly improving it's capabilities, and the balance is shifting more toward the Web client. We expect that as this trend continues, we will push more users to the web and reserve the desktop for Admin and super users roles. The Adept 2017 Web Client is a Game Changer!

• KarynDKarynD Member Posts: 7

@Cwood3, I sure hope you're right with regards to Adept 2017 (and beyond). We are currently on 2015 with plans to go to 2018 following release (+ a service pack). Working with my AE users is painful and I feel for them. Not to mention the desktop isn't that speedy either. Very frustrating for an admin. Thanks for the insight.