Document Relationships

xmicahxxmicahx Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
Currently, the only relationship between documents one parent to many children. It would really help us clean the structure of our document tree and greatly increase the ease of finding things if we were able to make relationships between many parents to one child.

Comments

• Gene.SewellGene.Sewell Moderator Posts: 58 mod
    hmm - that's an interesting request.  I'm sure you've seen the "where used" tab on the document dashboard - which lets you view all the parents of a child.  This is the first time I've heard a request like this - could you provide a use case?  I'm happy to add it to our feature list queue - but it would help if we understood just how useful this would be?!

Synergis Senior Software Developer - primary developer for the Adept Desktop Client

• xmicahxxmicahx Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    See images below and pardon my crude illustrations. I only show 5 docs here, but it could be up to 200 at a time.

With the current setup, the transmittal function creates a relationship (green lines) to the items attached.
    When customer sends files back to use with comments, we relate those files to the customer transmittal (blue lines) and then relate the customer transmittal to our original documents (red lines).

With this down-up-down structure, starting at our transmittal, the document dashboard tree displays similar to this:

We have to select one of the documents in this tree and use the "Where Used" tab of the document dashboard to see all of the parents, (our transmittal and the customer's). 

We then have to right click on the customer transmittal and select "Show Relationships for this file," Our final result is this:

If we could make relationships of Multiple parents (red lines) our tree would be structured like this and we could directly drill down to the comments file:

Sorry this is so long!
  • xmicahxxmicahx Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Even better would be some sort of "grid" dialog where we could add and arrange a bunch of files to create many 1:1 relationships as this would stink to do 200 individual, manual, relationships! 

Best Tree structure for user navigation!

• Gene.SewellGene.Sewell Moderator Posts: 58 mod
    This reminds me of an old idea I pitched for a while - a briefcase - used to send files out for contract work, and then be exported back.  There are many layers here - but the simplest would be to retain file ID - and ideally allow the contractor to edit the data-card of the document they are working on.

Give me some time to cook the ideas, but I get the gist.  thanks.  I'll write up a feature request.

Synergis Senior Software Developer - primary developer for the Adept Desktop Client

• Joe.GasperJoe.Gasper Member Posts: 7
    The Adept capability for managing relationships certainly can and should be improved. The existing dialogs for manual and transmittal relationships are geared around starting with the parent and adding/removing children. There is also a capability to swap a child for the parent in some cases. We are seeing that users of Adept are creating large and extensive amounts of document relationships. An enhanced capability to support the needs of our customers is required so that relationships can be more quickly created and edited. Most likely a mechanism/dialog enhancement is required where several documents can be selected in Adept, then upon entering a relationships dialog, the user can add or remove parents and children for the initially selected documents. This would allow the user to select one or more documents and quickly define one or more parents for all documents. As well, creation of a transmittal document and attaching children should also allow the attachment of one or more parents to the transmittal. As we transition our Desktop Client capabilities to our newer Web Services-based applications (Creator, etc.) we will have the opportunity to improve relationship creation methods.