Re-Instituting Tiled Windows

bharroldbharrold Member Posts: 1
Upgrading Adept from 2014 to 2017 eliminated the ability to tile windows. Though it seems insignificant, the lack of this feature has impacted productivity. A few key points from how it has negatively impacted our users:

1. 95% of the time in Adept is spent in either the Work Area or Search Results windows. In 2014, we would launch Adept, open the Work Area and Search Results windows, then tile them. This is how the client would remain for nearly the entire time of use.
2. With the windows tiled, there was fewer mouse clicks and far less real estate to cover with the mouse. In 2014 you could toggle between Search Results and Work Area windows in addition to selecting specific files or Work Areas with one mouse click and while staying in roughly the center of the screen. Now toggling between windows, files, or Work Areas requires the user to navigate to the top or bottom of the screen in addition to more mouse clicks.
3. Our Workflow is relatively simple in that one Engineering user performs all Workflow actions (ie Sign In, Sign Out, Approve, etc...). In 2014, we would Check In files from a Work Area. The Search Results window (which would already be shown and tiled) would automatically switch to our Inbox and automatically populate with the checked in files. We could then quickly approve them. In 2017, we now have to navigate to our Inbox (by going to the top or bottom banner) after Checking In files, Click Inbox on the left tree, then approve.

I know there was mention of re-instituting this feature in coming releases and that is great news. Is there any hope of seeing this released in a 2017 service pack? or hotfix of some sort? If not, we will have to wait 2+ years (given our upgrade schedule) before we can utilize this great feature again.

Comments

• whyzmuzjwhyzmuzj Moderator Posts: 19 mod
    @bharrold, it will not be re-instituted in Adept 2017.  I will check in to see what release this would be slated for.  I understand the issue and have heard similar feedback from other clients as well.  
  • KarynDKarynD Member Posts: 6
    We haven't done the upgrade yet (waiting for 2018 sp1) but I heard about this. I'm with @bharrold, this REALLY needs to come back! My Doc Control personnel LIVE in a tiled world :)
  • Gene.SewellGene.Sewell Moderator Posts: 32 mod
    edited August 2018
    Hi - I'm the guy you can complain to I suppose.  I was charged with the task of updating the UI of Adept to make it look more like office programs.  They are all single window apps with a ribbon.  While we had a strong group of folks who loved to tile windows - there were others who tried to cascade the windows and got in trouble - dragging files to the wrong window, clicking on the wrong window and having it come up covering the others.

It was a difficult balance.  I did implement a feature that probably no one knows about - which allows you to drag a file from one window to another.  Perhaps you could try this and it would diminish the pain of losing tiled windows a little?

At the bottom of the main app's screen - there are a row of "buttons" representing each window...

The inbox button is highlighted, indicating that's my active "window."

If I select a document in this window, and then drag the document down and over one of these buttons - for example, the "work area" button - Adept will act just like you had dragged it to the work area window in the old UI.

Hopefully, having the ability to drag documents from one window to another (aka now a button) restores a bit of the old functionality.

I don't see us returning to the golden days of tiles or cascading windows soon - but I could be wrong :)
  • ElaineWElaineW Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Gene, I wasn't aware you could do that. It would ease the pain for me a bit but I still liked having my File Guide window and my Work Area window open and visible at the same time.
  • atoloevaatoloeva Member Posts: 19
    I support this feature request as well. We purchased and implemented the 2017 version, but most of our users (Design Engineers and Doc Control) will appreciate if we can get back the option to tiled windows. Saves time and eliminates user frustration and error.
  • jtomejtome Member Posts: 15
    @Gene.Sewell Great tip.

Please be sure that all your Application Consultants know about the drag-n-drop feature.  I've worked with a few in the last year and none mentioned that.  It's not a show-stopper, but it would be good to know what all the drag-n-drop options are.
  • KarynDKarynD Member Posts: 6

@Gene.Sewell is there an easy way to create Relationships? We used the tiles windows a lot for this purpose.

Thanks!

• Gene.SewellGene.Sewell Moderator Posts: 32 mod
    edited January 10
    Hi - you can bring up that relationship file "picker" and then change windows again and again - the picker stays up allowing you to pick anything you like.  You can even do searches, all the time keeping that picker off a bit to the side, and find and add more docs to the manual relationships.  I don't know of any operation that no longer works because we removed tiles - although I know some really liked having two windows side by side.  Sorry about that :)