Library specific Column Sets

atoloevaatoloeva Deactivated Accounts Posts: 48 ✭✭

In our company we are using Adept 2017.

all users are request to have the ability to set columns specific to a Library. Currently we are able to use column sets for each Adept Window.

Is this something that can be added as a feature?

Comments

• Gene.SewellGene.Sewell Moderator, Deactivated Accounts Posts: 66 mod
    Hi - could I ask for clarification?  Currently we have three windows (search results, work area, and the various file guide views.)

You can set up columns for each of these windows.

My question is - in any of these windows, you could easily have documents from several different libraries.  I'm not understanding how Adept would then set up the column set to use?  

Synergis Senior Software Developer - primary developer for the Adept Desktop Client

• atoloevaatoloeva Deactivated Accounts Posts: 48 ✭✭

Those 3 windows will not be really impacted as they can have a separate column sets, or they will use the whatever column set the user selected to be applied to all Adept windows.

The way we are seeing this feature, is to be an option for the user to be able to apply column sets with the custom fields in a given library; and it will be most useful when we are working in the Library browser window.

• Gene.SewellGene.Sewell Moderator, Deactivated Accounts Posts: 66 mod
    Hi - excellent concept - took me a while to get it - sorry about that.  Obviously it would only work in the library browser window...

I'll write it up as a feature request.  As I see it this would be something any user could do - although one could share these.  There are some fine points - like switching back and forth between regular column set, and "library" column sets.  There might be a question about applying a library column set to all child libraries.  Also perhaps some indication that the column set is a library based column set, compared to a "normal" column set.

Interesting idea!  I like it!

Synergis Senior Software Developer - primary developer for the Adept Desktop Client

• atoloevaatoloeva Deactivated Accounts Posts: 48 ✭✭

Yes, I agree with you- there are some fine tuning points- applying same column sets to child libraries will be a perfect one. Most of the time the child libraries will use the same customized data fields.

The more we use the libraries to organize our documents and workflows, the more need for Library specific features will arise :-)

I just want to give you a brief description on how we choose to structure the Adept Vault:

We start with a library folder-which most of the time is Department specific, library, and we have a rule that the depth of children libraries should not exceed 3. 

Example of the Major Library folders are "Company General", "Engineering", Quality etc...

In the Company General we will have child libraries such as "Business Processes", "Administrator Documents","Adept Library Guides". Being able to apply same column sets to all libraries under the Company General Folder will be perfect addition to this feature.