What is your favorite Adept Feature?

whyzmuzjwhyzmuzj Moderator Posts: 19 mod

I've been using Adept since 1997 - and have seen so many incredible changes to the product. Each new release I'm excited about how the product grows and improves.

So, I'm curious. What's your favorite feature in Adept?

So this is a hard question for me to consider as I have a few, and if I were to narrow it down to one feature I think I would pick the AutoName - it's super useful for how we use Adept internally with Sales/PM processes. Since we link the AutoName to both Adept fields and Auto-Generated Number which also is linked to an Adept field. It helps with ensuring that specific information is filled out right from the start :)

Comments

• MLubowMLubow Administrator Posts: 7 admin

I think my favorite feature is Outlook to Adept. It's a handy way to make sure that all correspondence related to a project is tracked and maintained in Adept.

• rnettlesrnettles Moderator Posts: 11 mod

There have been a lot of nice features added. Still, one of my favorites is the rich Audit Log. We have used it so many times to help our users track down answers when they get lost.

The search card - Show Search Key and Special Searches were a great addition as well.
    Adept File System Replication - It just works!

Many others but those are a few of my favorites!

• Gene.SewellGene.Sewell Moderator Posts: 50 mod
    I've seen great things done with saved searches, shared with folks

Synergis Senior Software Developer - primary developer for the Adept Desktop Client

• Nick.BogartNick.Bogart Moderator Posts: 14 mod
    As an AC, my favorite feature is the Data Importer tool.  We use it to apply massive amounts of data to clients' files via an Excel spreadsheet.  It really helps during implementations.
    As an Adept User, my favorite feature is the Transmittal.  The Transmittal, in conjunction with the right workflow can be utilized in so many ways.  An ECR-process for instance; I'm teaching a class on it at the Adept Experience.  Hope to see you all there!

Nick Bogart
    Synergis Adept - Application Consultant

• EricHomeierEricHomeier Member Posts: 4
    As many who have sat in my admin class or an implementation with me know... my favorite feature or the feature i feel i use the most often in many different ways is the "Unlinked Record" or as I like to call it... "Record no File". Of all the features I have definitely found more creative ways to use this feature than any other one feature in Adept.
  • ElaineWElaineW Member Posts: 12
    I'm with Eric, when I was a customer I used "Unlinked Record" many times and in many ways.  Whenever someone mentioned an issue it was and still is the first thing I think of "Can I use an unlinked record to help"!
  • Gene.SewellGene.Sewell Moderator Posts: 50 mod
    I' m also a fan of "quick search" - that search you can do from the search results window - at the top of the list area.

It's also "tab" friendly - so you can enter a search term - tab over to the field list - type the first letter of the field you want to search (the list defaults to those fields currently used in the list window.)  If you typed an "d" for example, and there are three fields starting with a "d" - then type "d" again to see the second field etc.

This search allows searches for fields not currently on the data card - so it's a powerful took from that perspective.

And you can still save the search by right clicking in the list area - "save search as" is the menu pick for that.

Synergis Senior Software Developer - primary developer for the Adept Desktop Client

• AELDiscussionsAELDiscussions Member Posts: 8
    My would have to be "Full Text Search" and the ability to "Release Check Out", as I am always getting users checking out a Master drawing for a project to work on when they should of just taken a copy...
    Simon Black
    Alpine Energy
    New Zealand
  • Nick.BogartNick.Bogart Moderator Posts: 14 mod
    @AELDiscussions
    Question for you...does your organization make copies of master drawings in support of a "concurrent engineering" process?  If so, how many projects may be in progress simultaneously?  Then, how to you handle the project drawings as they are checked in and re-introduced into Adept?  Do they become new versions of the master?

Nick Bogart
    Synergis Adept - Application Consultant

Nick

Yes we make copies of master drawings as part of our proposal design process. 

We have hundreds of projects in the pipeline. And there could be more than one project manager working in the same area on the same plan but for a different customer and under a different job number.

Being a Distribution Lines company, much of the work is for everyday customers, power to new houses, new subdivisions, all sorts.  And these projects, ones a proposal design has been drafted it could sit for days, weeks, or months until the customer come back to us with with the money or gives the go ahead.

Each job has what we call a "Job Number" and that job number is unique to that job, so when we make a copy of the master into our work area we prefix the drawing number with the job number so this makes it easy to find everything with a search.  Also once that proposal design has been approved we "check in" those drawings to the project managers departments "Proposal" library. 

We then also have adept "FileGuide" setup so it creates a virtual folder for each job based on job number and which folder it resides in which could be "Proposal", "Issued" for when the job has been issued out, then "Returned" for when the job has been built and the job and marked up as-builds have been returned.

This makes quick access to all the drawings for one particular job.

We just move the drawings between folders when the job status changes.  So we are sorting using Adept as a workflow manager on the drawings.

Then after all that, once we go to as-build the job, we check out the master drawings and transfer the as-built information onto the master, then check that back in.

Its a real handful to keep track of.  People don't really understand it or why we do it like we do until they come work here or take a look at things.

fileGuide View

Simon Black
    Alpine Energy
    New Zealand
  • atoloevaatoloeva Member Posts: 37 ✭✭

I like the process that you have implemented -copy of master file and rename with Job Number.

I am tasked to come up with a similar process and use Adept to keep track of the changes.

I have a question: what do you do with the copied file after the as-built information is transferred onto the master?

Do you archive the copied file to prevent its usage?

Yes we archive the drawings. 

We used to archive them into a folder that was only accessible by a handful of people but found project managers would like to view the old job to try remember what they did and can use ideas for another job and so on.

So now we have added to our job folder system

We have added a folder called "Cancelled Jobs Archived" and "Completed Jobs Archived"

Cancelled Jobs Archived - Self explanatory really - if job is cancelled the drawings are moved here (viewable by project managers)

Completed Jobs Archived - design drawings are moved here once all as-built information has been transferred onto the master drawing(s)

So in a nutshell the process goes like this:

Drawing copied out and job number suffixed onto the end of the drawing number e.g. drawing 12456.dwg filename ends up as 12456_A00001256.dwg (A00001256 is also added to the drawings data card so a view in the fileguide can be created on that.)

Libraries:

Proposed - Drawings are moved here once the proposed design has been approved - job not issued yet

Issued - As it states - Once job is issued to contractor, drawings and other documentation handled by Adept for that job is moved here  

Returned - drawings and documentation moved here once the job has been built and documentation has been returned and checked (AS-BUILT INFORMATION HAS NOT YET BEEN TRANSFERRED ONTO THE MASTER DRAWING)

Completed Jobs Archived - All drawings and any other documentation that has been handled within Adept is moved here once all as-built information from the job has been transferred onto the master drawings.

Simon Black
    Alpine Energy
    New Zealand
  • atoloevaatoloeva Member Posts: 37 ✭✭

Thank you for your reply.

This helps to confirm our approach. We also use archive libraries in Adept with limited access.

We use the Adept Archive command only when we want to Obsolete a document: We are absolutely sure we will never build that product/part again.